Fax: (519) 765-4182
Animal Health Products, Work Clothes and Boots, Complete Line of Farm & Pet Supplies, with an enlarged garden centre and gift shop.
Built in the mid 1940’s on the southwest corner of John and Beech Street and on the north side of the CNR rail line, Elgin Co-op was established as a cooperative to serve the growing needs of the local farmers. Operating out of a small 1100sq ft store and office, business mainly consisted of local farmers buying memberships and using them to buy and sell grain, feed, and ingredients for their own use. As the Aylmer area continued to grow, so did the local feed mill. The business soon grew enough to have eight employees and one feed delivery truck. A 1500, and later a 2800 sq ft addition were built to serve the increased needs of farmers and to stock a wider variety of animal health, pet food, as well as some farm hardware. In 1990, Elgin Co-op was sold to Topnotch Feeds. Wilf Saarloos, the manager of the Dorchester branch was hired as the new manager. Only 4 years later, Wilf bought the feed mill from Topnotch, as well as the grain elevator and the fuel station and renamed it Elgin Feeds. Elgin Feeds has undergone several updates since its establishment in the 40’s, and most recently, the conversion to Elgin Feeds Ltd. Country Store. A garden centre was built, as well as a re-branding of the store front. A fuel card lock was built to provide customers with 24 hour access to fuel. The project was completed in 2005. Today, many years later, Elgin Feeds has many more employees, three feed delivery trucks, and continues to grow.